Saturday 31 January 2015

WEEK 4 ~ Completing Assignment 1 and Midterm Prep

     Assignment 1 is complete!

     The first assignment was to incorporate classes to create a general game view and a program to play the game Subtract A Square. Subtract A Square is a pretty straight forward game and  a simple game to set up but creating classes for it was pretty difficult for me.In the end I could not fix the bugs with my program before the deadline.  Something must have been missing or have gone wonky from my coding because the program would return an error.

    Or maybe it's something basic that I'm overlooking with classes and inheritance. I've only just started programming in September so I'll need to continue looking over my Intro to Programming notes and re-do some practice questions.  I'm definitely going to practice tracing and creating more classes and subclasses to insure I'm on the right track in this course. Good preparation is key to improving on my game(s) for the next assignment!

    Also, our first midterm is this coming Wednesday so I also have to review Recursion and Stacking  and all the other new tricks we are learning to make our programming lives simpler. Can't delay!

     Cheers

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can help to test your functions/methods/classes as you go. Once you've built up a big application with a class hierarchy already in place, going back to figure out where your bugs are is *painful*. I think you'll be learning about UnitTest this week (if you haven't already), which is a great tool as long as you can write good tests!

    And if you really like testing, TDD is a solid strategy to use for all of your assignments.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development

    [Deleted and reposted for formatting edit]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's helpful! I'll give the TDD strategy a try and see where that gets me.

      Delete

I'm open to any feedback! Thanks!